Delicious, filling and easy to make, this Spanish rice and ground beef recipe is one of our favorite weeknight meals to make. Packed full of protein, vegetables and flavor, this dinner is a dish the whole family can enjoy.
Easy Dinner Idea
It is 5 o’clock and I am standing in the middle of the kitchen wondering what to make for dinner.
Roast? Nope, there isn’t enough time to thaw out the meat.
Chicken and dumpling casserole? Well, we had that a couple of days ago.
If you’re reading this post it is likely you’ve run into the same situation. You need to get dinner on the table but you’re fresh out of quick dinner ideas. Boy, do I get that! Meal planning sure does save time and hassle of figuring out what’s for dinner but personally I am I bit of a slacker when it comes to planning ahead. I have great intentions but they don’t always come to fruition.
Spanish rice and beef is one of our favorite weeknight meals. It is quick, convenient and tastes delicious. I love that it is filled with protein, vegetables, a little bit of rice for a carbohydrate and plenty of spices to give it flavor without adding heat. Serve up a bowl of Spanish rice and hamburger as is or top it with a bit of cheese.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Easy and quick dinner recipe
- Packed full of protein
- Freezes well
- Works for a variety of diets and taste preferences including those that are low-carb, like high amounts of protein and/or don’t like spicy food
- Made with pantry staples
Can Spanish Rice Be Frozen?
Spanish rice makes a great freezer meal. I often freeze leftovers in sealed plastic bags for quick meals in the future.
Is Spanish Rice Gluten Free?
Yes, all rice is naturally gluten free. The white rice along with the rest of the ingredients in this recipe do not contain gluten.
What Goes With Spanish Rice?
When I serve Spanish rice and ground beef for dinner, I usually pair it with some type of vegetable side dish. Here are a few side dish ideas to go with Spanish rice:
- Green beans
- Creamed corn
- Side salad
How to Make Spanish Rice and Ground Beef
Serve up a flavorsome plate of Spanish rice and ground beef tonight. This easy meal is perfect for busy weeknights when you need to get dinner on the table quick but you also want a meal that nourishes the body. Made with simple, healthy ingredients.
Makes: 4-6 servings
2 lbs ground beef
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup uncooked white rice
1 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced green pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
In a large skillet brown beef until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper.
While the meat is cooking, in a separate pan heat up the oil over medium-low heat. Add rice. Sauté rice until it is golden brown and fragrant, stirring frequently. Add onion and green pepper. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic and cook for another minute. Add tomatoes, water, chili powder, ground mustard, salt and pepper.
Pour cooked ground beef into rice mixture. Bring to a gentle simmer, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20-25 minutes, until rice is soft and the liquid has reduced. Serve and enjoy!
Tips for Making Spanish Rice
- If using home canned tomatoes instead of a can of tomatoes from the grocery store, you may want to skip adding the additional 1/2 cup water in step 2. I find that the tomatoes I canned from my garden are much more juicy so the additional liquid is not necessary.
- When sautéing the rice, you will know it is finished by the golden brown coloring on the outside and the fragrant popcorn-like smell emanating from the pan.
- Take this Spanish rice and ground beef dish to the next level by grating a little cheddar cheese on top.
- Double this recipe and freeze for later!
More Delicious From Scratch Meal Ideas
Free Weekly Meal Planner
Plan your weekly menu, including snacks, main dishes and desserts with this free printable meal planner. Click on the image above or on this link right here to instantly download and print the meal planning template.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet brown beef until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the meat is cooking, in a separate pan heat up the oil over medium-low heat. Add rice. Sauté rice until it is golden brown and fragrant, stirring frequently. Add onion and green pepper. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic and cook for another minute. Add tomatoes, water, chili powder, ground mustard, salt and pepper.
- Pour cooked ground beef into rice mixture. Bring to a gentle simmer, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20-25 minutes, until rice is soft and the liquid has reduced. Serve and enjoy!