Probiotic-rich kefir and creamy pumpkin puree unite in this smoothie recipe to create one flavorsome treat! Made with all of your favorites, like fruit, pumpkin pie spice, real vanilla and no added sugar. Enjoy a glass of this seasonal pumpkin kefir smoothie this fall!
Healthy Smoothie Recipe
Head long into the fall season, we are thoroughly enjoying all that autumn has to offer. Cool crisp nights, vibrant colored leaves, corn mazes and apple picking. Every season comes with its favorite flavors and dishes. No longer are we grilling up chicken or serving up strawberry lemonade. Now I’m cozying up with a bowl of warm chili and a delicious fresh baked roll.
Another popular fall favorite in our home (and really across the nation) is pumpkin. Pumpkin pie and pumpkin pudding are at the top of the most-loved desserts list. If you’re a pumpkin-lover like we are, then I suspect you enjoy trying all sorts of pumpkin recipes. Just the other day while organizing the fridge, I discovered that we had quite a lot of kefir that needed to be drank. Searching for another way to get the probiotic-rich kefir into our systems, other than turning it into a whey soda or kefir cheese, I decided to add the milk kefir into a smoothie. Usually when I do this, I mix the kefir with fruit and jam but this time I wanted something more.
And of course, something with pumpkin.
Introducing the pumpkin kefir smoothie.
Filled with all of our favorites — pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, fruit, vanilla and plenty of gut healthy milk kefir, this smoothie recipe will satisfy your pumpkin cravings. The best part is that it is totally sugar free. What a delightful guilt-free dessert recipe!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Do you really need a reason to love a homemade smoothie? If you need a little convincing, check out these 7 reasons, you are going to love this pumpkin smoothie recipe.
- It is easy and quick to make.
- This smoothie recipe is packed full of gut healthy probiotics.
- Only simple, real food ingredients are used to make this delicious smoothie.
- The kefir smoothie has no added sugar. It is sweetened with fruit only.
- Pumpkin is rich in antioxidants, vitamins and also helps to support a healthy digestive system.
- Tastes like fall in a cup! A delicious season drink recipe!
- Dates are a good source of fiber and are considered low glycemic.
Benefits of Drinking Kefir
Kefir is one of my favorite cultured foods to eat. With 56 strains of different bacteria, my belly is quite happy and much more in balance than it used to be prior to consuming kefir. While there are dozens and dozens of health benefits of kefir, here are a few reasons you should consider adding kefir to your daily diet.
- Great source for probiotics
- High in enzymes
- Good source of vitamins, especially B12
- Good source of protein
- Helps boost immunity
- Great for skin (see this soap recipe with kefir in it)
- Helps heal the gut
- Can aid in improving allergies
- Supports a healthy digestive system
- Help to improve lactose intolerance
Probiotic Smoothie Recipe
Simple and sugar free, this pumpkin kefir smoothie tastes like fall in a cup but with all the essential nutrients you need – like fiber, probiotics, vitamins, enzymes and antioxidants.
1 cup kefir
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 frozen banana, cut into chunks
2 pitted dates
Optional topping: whipped cream
How to Make a Kefir Smoothie
In a blender add the kefir, milk, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and dates. Blend until combined and smooth.
If desired, top smoothie with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.
Other Great Fermented Recipes You May Want to Try
- 1 cup kefir
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 frozen banana, cut into chunks
- 2 pitted dates
- Optional topping: whipped cream
- In a blender add the kefir, milk, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and dates. Blend until combined and smooth.
- If desired, top smoothie with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.